Sunday, 20 February 2011

The edge of the Empire

I had a few days to spare on my way to Scotland so decided it was time for me to see the fabled Hadrian's Wall. Which was built by Emperor Hadrian, though not by the sweat of his own brow, to keep the lawless and fearsome Scots clans away from the peace-loving and reasonable English (and Romans). Unfortunately the wall is not always successful and the Scots sometimes come south.
I am not a dyed in the wool walker so you will understand that I was not inclined to patronize any of the camp sites, electing instead to opt for a dry bed, bath and hot meal in whatever bed and breakfast or small hotels I could locate. In order make life as convenient as possible I searched the www for accommodation but eventually came upon a package operated by a company which booked the rooms for me and used Sherpas, I suppose, to move the baggage from one residence to the next. The intention was to walk what I considered to be the most interesting section of the wall between Corbridge and Gilsland, as I was less interested in the parts of the wall close to either Newcastle of Carlisle. I had allowed three days for this.
Although it was August the weather was as you would expect; wet, windy, misty and at times cold but the views were superb, the history alive and all around and the walkers I met were of course lovely people.
I could go on but I won't so just do it, you will not be disappointed.
jojo

No comments:

Post a Comment